Monday, May 3, 2010

4/9/2010

Last night we had the official start to our season. We threw a big party down in Fells point.

It was really neat to see all the people coming out to see us. I sometimes forget that Baltimore can mobilize and care about something. It really was great to see so many people come out for her.

But then, this boat belongs to the city in a very real way. After the first one went down, Baltimore pulled hard to rebuild, fighting against a lot of naysayers to keep the tradition alive. Down over the chart table we have a sign that says "Remember the jar of pennies!"

I asked the mate about it one day, because I was curious. Apparently a local elementary school had all the kids bring in spare change to put in this big jar and donated it to the boat. Realistically they gave almost nothing in context of the cost of such a boat, but it proves the point; This city built this boat.
And I'll be damned if I forget that jar.

No comments:

Post a Comment