Sunday, February 28, 2010

2/27/2010

It's been busy days filled with lots of learning. I did more work on leather, specifically putting leather on the eyes of stays. I learned to do a herringbone stitch, which I think will prove helpful in many things, and I'm growing confident with the sail makers palm.

I also spent a good bit of time with the Chief Mate dealing with floating debris near the boat. There's an old dock rotting into the water, dropping huge timbers which end up floating between us and the dock.

We also did a safety orientation and talked at great length about weather patterns and reading weather maps, which I hope to learn more about as the season goes on. The Captain clearly knows a great deal about such things. Hopefully he'll be willing to teach more about it.

Today was stropping blocks for me. I got to do the seizings that were briefly taught to me a few days ago. I say with absolute confidence that I need to practice that one a good deal more. Four blocks done in a nine hour work day; it's a little embarrassing.

No comments:

Post a Comment